[Dailydrool] Elsinore the Eliminated

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Oct 13 13:06:42 PDT 2012

I've been devoting quite a bit of my life lately to getting our
Elsinore ready to take her pet therapy recertification test.

It was this morning.

She failed it before it even began.

She failed it by suddenly, without giving me any warning at all,
peeing on the floor by the walker during the period we were given to
let her familiarize herself with the space.

Pet Partners rules are any dog who eliminates gets eliminated.

Elsinore the Eliminated.

This was very out of character for her. Elsinore isn't a dog who has
to go around marking over other dogs' marks. She never just stops and
squats without telling me she needs to go out. We'd just spent half
an hour outside, and I was given every indication that she was done
and ready to enter the building. Even the evaluator, who's known
Elsinore for years, said it was quite unlike her.

But after this happened, things started to make sense, things like
Elsinore acting "off" for the last couple of weeks I'd been
attributing that to her getting bored with our training, or perhaps
it was a sign of her aging. As far as we know, she's 11 or 12, and
I've become very aware of the "old-dog" hollows over her eyes, an
indication of her finiteness. She also hasn't been terribly
enthusiastic about eating her meals, though she will eat them.
Eventually. I thought she just didn't like her new kibble, especially
since she was eating the training treats.

I guess Elsinore decided she'd better send me a message I couldn't
possibly miss. That puddle was impossible to miss.

The last time Elsinore sent me a message like that was at Drooler
Kelly Jane Wilson's house. We'd had Elsinore for about six years by
then. She'd arrived fully housebroken and was so dependable that I'd
joke that if she ever had an accident in the house I'd know it was a
UTI and take her straight to the vet. We were having a lovely play
date at Kelly Jane's when Elsinore looked me square in the eye,
squatted, and peed on the wall-to-wall carpet. Kelly Jane was very
forgiving, and I marched Elsinore straight to the vet. She had a UTI.

So this morning I cleaned up Elsinore's puddle and marched her
straight to the vet, thankful for the person who canceled so I could
take that appointment.

Poor Elsinore. I'd promised her one McDonald's hamburger after her
test and two if she passed. But instead she was taken to the vet. She
wasn't happy about it at all and pressed herself up against the wall
of the examining room to be as unavailable to the vet as possible.
Normally she greets the vet with tail wagging.

The vet said the urine sampled showed "something brewing in
there" (in medical terminology, a UTI) and prescribed ten days of
antibiotics.

To make it up to Elsinore, I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home to
buy some string cheese. But she wasn't interested in it. That's had
me worried. I popped an antibiotic down her throat as soon as we got
home, and I'm hoping she'll respond to it as quickly as she did the
last time she had a UTI.

In the meantime, no more practicing. Which might not be such a bad
thing. The people at Home Depot are now greeting Elsinore by name
when we show up, and the dog park where we practice ignoring
unsuspecting "neutral dogs" as they enter and exit the park is
starting to be not as fun a place to visit as it once was. Although,
I do make sure both hounds have a chance to actually play inside the
dog park before I begin working with Elsinore outside of it.

All in all, it was very disappointing to fail before even beginning
the test. I even put on make-up this morning and cleaned Elsinore's
ears out again. The evaluator seemed to be as disappointed as I, and
she's very generously found a way to let us retest in the near future
so we won't have to wait another three or four months for a test.
Next Tuesday night we'll do our test as a demo for the pet therapy
class she teaches. This ups the ante with Elsinore--a large space
with lots of people and other dogs in it. Can she focus on me and
follow my directions with all that going on around her? We'll find
out, though I suspect she'll stand a better chance if she's feeling
better.

The silver lining in this cloud has been catching a UTI before it
became really entrenched and painful for Elsinore. I just wish she
could have waited another hour until we got home to our own carpets
to let me know about her health problem. Keep your fingers crossed
for us that she'll be feeling back to her old self again in ten days
and will test well on her second chance.

Elizabeth