[Dailydrool] New member of the Out of Africa Clan

Karen bassett8 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 12:34:37 PDT 2012

Dear Drool Family,

Rather unexpectedly we have added a new member to our family, so a warm
welcome to Miss Ella Basset who joined our family today.  The owner of our
local village supermarket has heart problems and is moving back to the big
city, Johannesburg and the only place they can get to stay allows only 2
dogs, they have 4 hounds and Ella has joined our family and one of the boys
has joined another local family, due to time constraints it was a sad
situation of place two of the hounds or have them put down, fortunately I
was able to take Ella and another family who has two females took one of
the boys, the other two boys will accompany their family.  I could not take
another male as I have two already and one, Caspian, is rather terratorial,
so adding another male was not an option.

Ella is a tri-coloured young lady of 4 and had one litter before being
spayed, fortunately all mine are fixed too, so no issues there.  She
arrived at about 3pm South African time which is GMT +2 and it is now
9:20pm and she is happily laid on the hound beds with the other 2 boys,
Coco is not yet too happy about having another hound around, but being 13
nearly 14, I am giving her a bit of slack where Ella is concerned, when we
got Caspian last April it took her the better part of a week to even
tolerate him in the vicinity, so I presume it will be the same this time.

Ella is the smallest basset I have every owned coming in at a very petite
16 kilograms (35 pounds), the rest of the crew range from 28 kilograms (62
Pounds) to 37 kilograms (81 Pounds)  she is not underweight at all and none
of my others are overweight, just very different sized hounds.  Ella
apparently has a Czechoslovakian father and a French mother and a pedigree
as long as my arm.  They will post all her documentation to me in a week or
so, but she is up to date on shots etc and uses the same vet we do, so I
was able to check that already.  She is a little honey and very well
mannered but is a real hoover when it comes to her food, just like Caspian,
so the joke is that I now have Hoover and Hoovette.

I wanted to share my new addition with you all as the Drool Family has had
a sad week with all the hounds heading to the Bridge and being sick,  One
more hound has a forever home and I hope that it brings a smile and some
hope to all of you who are sad and worried.

We send Drool and Snooters to all in need

The Out of Africa Bassets - Coco, Whisky, Caspian and now Ella with
momslave Karen