[Dailydrool] Helpful Hints: Getting rid of Red in armpits, toes, dewlap/ Old Show Trick

Houndy2 at aol.com Houndy2 at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 17:36:56 PDT 2012

Just thought I'd pipe in here and tell you what works for us. It might take
 6 months but it WILL WORK.

It works from the inside out. Give ENZYMES TWICE A DAY IN THE MEALS. GIVE
PLAIN YOGURT every day. Just a dollop just a spoonfull AM and PM  meals.

Dogs come into rescue and often they have red or rusty looking wrinkles,
paws, armpits, or even around the lips. If the coat is not too bad we just
wash  them twice being sure to rinse very well. Cream was suggested and that's
good  too but this is something important:
                            DO NOT USE OATMEAL SHAMPOO.
Wash every dog 2 times then use a conditioner. Rinse off well. Dry the bum
and tail so you don't get "Cold Tail" or what our Son called COW TAIL.   :)

Old Show Trick and what I use for dogs that come in dark rusty red and
stinky.

If you want to have an speed up getting a white coat you can mix  up:
1 oz. peroxide
1 oz. groomers chalk (dog catalogs carry it)
1 or two drops of  "Mrs.Stewarts Blueing" (Kroger has it in the  Laundry
section)
Take a tooth brush and brush in well to the skin (with the hair  not
against it) Put them in a crate so they dry well (overnight in hard side  crate do
not leave loose as it is messy to clean up)  then wash them in the
morning. Use a conditioner for sure.
This may lighten "ticking" too so just know..this stuff works!!! It is hard
 on the skin and coat though so be SURE to use a conditioner after you wash
them  twice.

If you want the coat to SHINE SHINE SHINE and be less rough looking: After
you have used the shedding tool Use a block of black hard foam stuff the
Farnum  makes for use in grooming horses. We get it at the feed store. Its
about $4 a  block. This will pull out the long wild looking hairs on the ruff
of the dogs  neck esp well. To sharpen the block for use when it gets full of
hair just run  it against the grooming table's side top. Presto its sharp
again. Do this  grooming once a week when you bathe,clean ears, do the teeth
and trim the  hairs from the hounds pads. It takes a few weeks of this
weekly grooming  but you will see a HUGE improvement over time.

PS and oh here's a good one to clean up the brown on white nails or to make
 the nails smoother: Take a "Magic Eraser" sponge and run it down over the
nails  when you are done doing the weekly nail grinding and you will be
pleased at how  finished and polished looking your hounds toenails will be. The
Bassets hate  this at first but after a time or two they just accept it.
(along with the  treets that come afterwards!)

Love and Woofs, Alexa  Hudson and Henry and Hounds