[Dailydrool] Understanding Words

Mary Lee Trnka mltrnka at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 14:43:42 PDT 2012

Our first basset, Tucker, would pee on command.  When he was a puppy, I would take him out of the kennel, go directly outside and say "Do your business".  Then when he did, I would give him lots of praise.  Once he learned the command, we could take him out on a leash in the rain (or snow or whatever), say "do your business" and he would.  He also knew "kitchen" (go in the kitchen) and "breezway" (go into the breezeway) and several other words.  When Philby came to us, he picked up on the same words.  There are several other words they both would respond to. About a year ago, we started putting Philby (now an only-dog) in the breezeway when we both left the house.  He has now has started to notice when my DH and I are both getting ready to leave.  We're not sure what cues he's picking up, but as we get close to leaving, Philby will get off the sofa and walk to the back door to go to the breezeway, without us saying a word. Mary Lee