[Dailydrool] Help..sleep deprived!

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 09:41:16 PDT 2012

Hi, it's the clueless momPerson here,

I've been through this a million times with a renegade cannon ball (also know as
a lab pup).  I'm suprised about the basset, my bassets will all take a snuggle
over mischief, even Gracie .... but I digress.

I do not, nor have I ever crated.  I do not believe it is evil, wrong or bad to
crate, my mother (may her memory be for blessing) always crated and thought I
was a lunatic for not crating renegade cannon balls but she respected my methods
and I hers, and neither of us ever had a tragedy due to our methods.  Again, I
digress.

You cannot leave lab pup loose in the house at night, s/he will trash the house
and might end up badly injured in the process.  I have used the following
methods with success:

1)  cuddle them instead (nobody recommends this, co sleeping is habit forming,
but it works for some.  Not yours though apparently)
2)  dog bed on the floor with a lead on the dog and secured to something
3)  dog bed in the bathroom and gate the dog in the bathroom.  (this works
really well in my house because the master bath is situated such that with
the master bath door open it looks right at our bed, specifically my side of the
bed
4)  Last resort ..... gate the crazy cannon ball in the den at the far end of
the house where I can't hear them

No matter what you do I recommend you sit down and talk to the buppy about the
issue and why it hurts you and why it has to be fixed.  They understand more
than you think.

Good Luck,
Dale