[Dailydrool] Crate & Pebbles

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 06:48:48 PDT 2012

Our Ginger is crated when we're not home and at night because she tends to
be quite destructive when she's left on her own and to help curb her
aggression issues. I want her crate to be a place where she feels safe and
secure and I never, never, NEVER use it for punishment. I really feel
strongly that you must NEVER use Pebble's crate as punishment if you have
made the choice to crate train her and put her in there when you're not
home. You are giving her many mixed messages by using it for punishment so
it's no wonder that she carries on when you're leaving the house and put
her in the crate. There are a lot of other ways to punish her or make her
stop whatever unacceptable behavior she's doing. We have squirt bottle
scattered all over the house and three of the four hounds hate to be
spritzed (Suzy thinks it's a game for some reason!). It definitely gets
their attention and generally will make them stop whatever they're doing. I
just want to strongly urge you to NOT use the crate for punishment if you
want Pebbles to like her crate and you're putting her in there when you're
not at home. Also, make sure you don't have her collar or tags on her while
she's in her crate. They can get caught in the slots and she could really
get hurt.

Please keep voting every day in the Shelter Challenge. It's shocking how
quickly another group can catch up to the first place group if the partner
with some other groups. WMBR is just like every other rescue and will put
that prize money to good use for the hounds.

The mastiffs are visiting for a week while our daughter is in NY visiting
our son and his family. I can only say thank goodness our foster houndette
moved on to her new home last week. I don't know how you guys with more
than six dogs manage! Of course, at 170 lbs and 125 lbs, one mastiff makes
two or three hounds but six dogs is a lot! I'm very lucky because the
mastiffs are wonderful dogs and very sweet but they sure do add to the
chaos around here!

Between the mastiffs and the Houndettes, we're sending buckets of drool to
all in need!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with mastiffs Sasha & Brutus