[Dailydrool] Gabe likely has a bulging lumbosacral disc

Alicia Pool apool at wolfrogersdickey.com
Wed Sep 5 09:33:33 PDT 2012

Just returned from our second trip to MedVet in Columbus since mid-July.
Dr. Barnhart wants to try one more round of preds, with an additional pain
med this time to see where that gets us.  He says if Gabe can go
successfully for 5-6 months between needing pred rounds, that would be
considered a successful way to maintain him.  If he goes right back to
having problems soon after the current pred round, the next step would be
an MRI and probably surgery.  The MRI alone is $2,500.  How do people do
this?  We still have a kid in college.  There will have to be a way if
necessary.

Gabe went through another very thorough exam like a trooper, only crying
out when the Dr. got to the bad disc - and then he acted so apologetic for
crying out.  Dr. says he is very stoic.  Legs are in great shape
structure-wise "for a basset", but he is starting to lose muscle tone in
his left rear leg.  There are hugs all around for Gabe from the staff and
I hear "he is a great dog".  Yes, he is a great dog, my favorite dog I
have ever had in my whole life.  Any drool and prayers that could be sent
Gabe's way would be greatly appreciated . . .

Alicia, Flo, Gabe and Liz