[Dailydrool] confused (and clueless momPerson)

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 5 08:58:58 PDT 2012

Hi all, it's me.

I have a question.

Gracie has been presenting some challenges.  She's really the dickens.  She's
the most bassety basset I've had here to date.  It'd be funny, but, yeah.  So
we've had lots of challenges, mostly revolving around how STUBBORN this girl
is.  Lord love a duck she might be the end of me yet but this last bit .... I
want to know if people thing she's being a pill or if there could have been
reasons out of her control for it.

Gracie came to us (as a foster) having never been a pet.  Obviously.   She knew
how to cuddle with other bassets but we had to teach her how to cuddle with
hoomans.  She held her pee and poo as long as she could ... I suppose because
that way she wouldn't have to be around it as much when she was in a kennel that
they probably didn't clean any more often than once a day.  She did have
accidents at first and we'd grab her and pull her outside saying "no, no, no we
do that outside."  After about 3 days here she was doing very well ... with a
rare accident maybe once or twice a week..  Her spay wasn't as simple as when
you spay a 6 month old, she is 4-5 years old and her insides indicated to the
vet she'd had a TON of litters.  She had a few accidents after she was spayed
which we attributed to the meds the doctor had her on to keep her from wanting
to play with the other dogs.  The vet also used staples instead of stitches on
the outside incision to try to avoid having her (or the other dogs, or play)
remove them.

Then I took her to have her staples removed.  When we came home she peed a RIVER
in the house within 5 minutes of getting home.  Over the course of the
afternoon/evening she had AT LEAST SIX "accidents" .... one of them POOP (very
loose, hers are normally firm).  I didn't say a word .... soaked them up and
carpet shampoo'd the spots.  Then over the next couple of days she had 2-3
accidents a day.  Finally yesterday she had only one and so far so good today.

So, my question is .... do you think these were really "accidents" ... maybe
having the staples taken out loosened her muscles up and she had trouble with
control for a few days??  Or was she just "pissed" and letting me know?  I need
to know this.  I need to clean her ears, but I'm afraid she'll get mad and start
peeing all over the house again.  So I've been putting it off.  Maybe I should
wait a few more days until I'm sure she's settled down.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Dale