[Dailydrool] Basset puppies and house training

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Sep 7 04:56:01 PDT 2012

On the issue of basset puppies peeing in the house, by nine months a basset will not necessarily have housebreaking down pat. It took our Jane (the only puppy we had) about that time to get it. Some hounds take a bit longer.

Partly, it depends on how consistent you have been with housebreaking. You need to keep repeating it until the basset gets the idea that peeing and pooping outside were her idea. That means taking the dog out frequently, even if she's not indicating she needs to go.

Also, watch carefully to see what the hound's cues that she needs to go out are. Our Holly, who is a senior, evidently never learned that she should let the humans know loudly that she needed to go out. Maybe she used to bark and got told not to, so she stopped vocalizing. When she lets you know, she usually just walks up to you. If you're busy with something, it's easy to miss. Her original owners missed her cues entirely, and I have to pay attention carefully to know when she's saying, "I want to go out." Since that can be hard to do, I mostly listen to Dexter, who is loud and clear on the subject. I take Holly along for the ride, and accidents are rare. But if you don't have another dog to set the pace, set a timer for about the time your dog can hold it. When the timer goes off, take the dog out, no matter how inconvenient it is. Eventually, the dog will get the idea.

Don't listen to others who have had their dogs trained more quickly. It doesn't matter who did what when. Your dog is an individual, and you need to suit potty training to her needs. You are not a failure if your basset is not trained by six months. You just need a bit more persistence.

Of course, if you have an older dog who is continent and suddenly has accidents, that's another matter. It's time for a vet visit. And if a puppy is straining and peeing blood, you also need to see the vet. But if all is fine otherwise, it's probably just a matter of taking the time and having the patience.

Bassets are wonderful, but they are also challenging in this.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets