[Dailydrool] struggling with Stuart

don/jan cook tudor2 at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 18 10:33:32 PDT 2012

When I leave the house Stuart gets anxious, panting, trembling, whining.  Won't stay on his donut bed,(which is his usual "kennel") follows me to the door and tries to leave when I do.
When I come home he, of course is beside himself. I step over him, ignore him and go let Duncan  (the Bldhnd) out of his area.
I wait awhile, then when things are "normal" I give Stuart some pets.
It started 6 weeks ago when I came back from summer holidays. (he was with us) My husband is still away, so I don't know if that is the problem. It will be interesting to see if Stuart improves when he gets back.
Now that I think about it, about 1 yr ago, Stuart got so he wouldn't stay behind the baby gate with Duncan. I attributed it to a fly or bee being in there. (Stuart hates them) So his new "kennel" is one of the donut beds. That seemed to be ok until Aug.
 I tried some herbal stuff, which didn't work.Then one day he pooped in the house. So I brought out the old Springer's kennel. That didn't work, he was a trembling mess and peed on himself in there.
So off to the vet we went. She put him on Apo-clomipramine 1 pill twice a day for 2 weeks. It didn't seem to help, so she upped it to 1 1/2 pills twice a day, the highest she can go. Now 10 days later, he certainly isn't getting any better. Yesterday I came home and he had knocked an antique table over in the livingroom and broke it in a couple of places. So he must be pacing and fretting all the time I am gone. I have shut him out of most of the rooms, but he has access to the main rooms. No more pooping anyway.
I don't work, so when I go out it is usually for 2 or 3 hrs only.
I watched him today on the beach, he always lags behind. He still does, so he doesn't see the need to be right beside me. In the house tho, he keeps a close eye on me, and follows me around most times. That is a changed behaviour.
 He likes to be down in the garden more than he used to, I have been attributing that to me having to call him in if I am going out.
The vet said the anxiety could be the beginning of dementia, altho he is young for that. (8 yrs)
So that is my "tale". I have an apt. on Thurs. with the vet to see if there is something else we can do. She does physio, so I wonder if something like that might help. He is starting to get arthritis in his shoulders.
Any ideas?
Jan, and Stuart