[Dailydrool] Vet thought Sydney B. Poisoned...

bassetslave at comcast.net bassetslave at comcast.net
Tue Sep 18 14:07:29 PDT 2012

We had Feyfey. Then we screamingly flunked foster with <*>, pronounced "Woo". Then came Sydney B. Syd B. Bad. Two homes returned him. I'd extracted a promise that if he came back again we could keep him. He did.  Syd was an escape artist who once fled the cleaning people, er, the former cleaning people and ended up on a golf course a few miles from home. We hunted him in a golf cart. Sydney B. Proud to be OEBE #3. Chewed everything. Went cujo if I dared get on the bed after him. He started out really scrawny, filled out nicely and was just turning into a good guy. Took to sleeping in his crate at the end of the bed. He was maybe 3. Until one night in January, 2003. Syd had a little Woof off with Bobbydawg, later Buddydawg,  the only foster ever to get a permanent home out of our house. So he was put beyond a babygate. He and Bobbydawg sniffed politely through the gate and Syd went over for a nap on one of the many houndie beds in the house.

I remember talking to Renee' Bane's husband about some shirts she was designing. We watched Frasier, then I went to go upstairs. Bent to give Sydney B. a little too quiet a belly rub. No response. Tried again. No motion. Screamed to Rich, I think Sydney B. Dead. He thought I was crazy. Nope. Sydney B. ATB. I couldn't take it. Had to know what happened. Paid vet lady to do an autopsy. Her first question was whether he had gotten into rat poison. Nope, I told her if I saw a rat I would move. Turned out that he had a coronary aneurysm and bled out, internally. He went to sleep. Never would have thought our wild child would leave before Feyfey (13) and <*> (14) who each left later in 2003.

Which was our lesson to not leave out toxic things. Reading CBL's story I think I need to be more careful.

Nine years later, I still can't figure out how Sydney B. having a superball in his stomach when the vet did the autopsy. We don't have kids. ...doG I still miss Sydney B.  He should be the old houndie in our family, now.

dawnslave