[Dailydrool] Picking up bassets to cuddle

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 05:27:36 PDT 2013

Browyn loves to be picked up to be cuddled, but if you are standing up, you
can only do it if her brothers aren't watching.  If I am sitting in the
rocking chair, I am allowed to pick her up and she puts her paws on my neck
and she sticks her head down my shirt (front or back, she doesn't care) and
she breathes deeply while I love on her and rock her.  Blitzen ATB LOVED to
be picked up and cuddled.  Browyn is only 32 pounds and Blitzen was 46
pounds, both doable weights.  Bugsey does NOT like to be picked up, but he
thinks he should live in my lap.  As a matter of fact his nickname is
Little Man because as a puppy he never wanted to be helped or picked up.
 Beauford was 6 months old and I asked his foster mom when I could stop
caring him down the stairs because he was getting heavy and she was
surprised that he still wanted to be carried and informed me that I needed
to teach that boy to go down the stairs on his own.  He is SO long, that he
is difficult to carry.  I did learn recently when he pulled a flat basset
trick on me instead of getting in the car to go to the vet that he still
subjects to being carried quite well.  He is just longer than my arms and
56 pounds.  In all fairness, I guess I should say Bugsey weighs 50 pounds.
 It would never occur to him to pull a flat basset.  He loves to go in the
car, so does Browyn.  Beauford gets car sick.  I have used cerenia.  It
keeps him from throwing up,but it doesn't erase his bad memories of having
gotten sick in the car, so he is still very anxious.  We call Beauford our
cat.  He comes and gets kisses and then either sleeps in a dog bed or at
the other end of the couch.  If I am really sick, he will lay next to me as
long as I don't pet him too much.  It actually works out great because I
already have Bugsey in my lap demanding constant loving.  Browyn goes and
plays and then leaps on us and gets loved on for awhile and it is just nice
to have an undemanding one.

Jennifer, the MomPerson, with Beauford (yes, I like sleeping in my crate),
Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess