[Dailydrool] i WAS gonna brag, but I guess not.

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 11:53:01 PDT 2013

I was gonna post a brag about my best buddy Dexter Dogstar, but I guess not.
I'll have to hold off a bit longer.

When I got Dexter just over a year ago from a family that didn't want him
anymore, he was just a pup of 10 months old. He'll be two sometime in May (I
don't have an exact date.) And while I endured the typical puppy chewing and
digging, I was overwhelmed with the difference between Dexter and my
previous hell-raiser Maggie.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been letting Dexter have the run of the
place when I'm out for short periods. He did exceptionally well, almost too
good to be true. Then yesterday happened. He decided that there is still
some puppy behavior to work out. On the carpet. Yup...while he hasn't been
chewing anything except his own toys for months, yesterday he remembered he
has an affection for duct tape. Huh? you ask! Yes, duct tape. But I thought
you were talking about carpet, you ask? Well, yes. Carpet. And duct tape.

Over a dozen years ago, Maggie tore up the living room carpet. Big patches
ripped right out, padding and all.  (Did I mention hell-raiser?) Of course,
she did a LOT more damage than just the carpet, but that's the most obvious
remnant of the destruction. I got some brown duct tape and put the carpet
back together, since it's not in the budget to replace it.

So back to yesterday: Dexter went after the duct tape, tearing up the carpet
some more. Not much, but enough that I stood there on the spot and scolded
the little guy. No yelling, no stomping, just a scolding - "Never, never,
never do that again. You hear me? Never!" And then I let it go. He slunk
away, and I followed him to a safe spot, and hugged him up real good. I'm
not adding to the trauma this boy appears to have had earlier in his life.

Anyway, on a scale of 1 to 10, with Maggie as the most difficult dog I ever
had being a "one", and my shelties (all ATB) as the best behaved dogs I've
ever had as a "ten", Dexter still comes in at nine, plus change.

I'm am totally overwhelmed most of the time at what a splendid dog he is.
Maybe that's karma for all the tough stuff I endured to give Maggie a good
life. Whatever. I'm just so very, very happy with this guy. A little trouble
now and then is just a reminder that he is a basset, after all.

So there it is. A bit of a brag despite the relapse. Hopefully there will be
many more big brags in the future :)

Tim 'n Puppies: TNG

  -- Leia Round

 -- Dexter Dogstar