[Dailydrool] Annie

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 15:21:11 PDT 2013

Hi Rose,
    I am not sure if you have a long history with bassets or not; so, I can tell you that bassets are extremely tolerant of children, humans in general, and the elderly BUT impatient and very much aware of pack hierarchy being pack dogs by nature.  As you may or may not know, it was and is common for hunting bassets to be kept in large packs that live together.  If  you  live in a large group, pack hierarchy must be clearly established or you will never know peace.  Bassets are aware of affection and they are aware of the precious nature of personal space and attention.  I find females tend to be "grumpier" them males but not always so.
    I have an 8 year old girl named, Fancy, who will not tolerate a violation of her sleeping area or her entitlement of her allotment of affection.  She will snap and snarl at all interlopers.  She sounds like a vicious attack dog but no real harm is being done.  She will snap but rarely makes contact.  She sounds absolutely crazy violent at the time but it is all show.  My big boy, Luke, who is around 4 years old is the same.  He challenges every Newf male I've got.  Even though neutered, he is convinced he is the Romeo of the group and will challenge an intact, 165 pound Newf male.  He once lunged 4 feet across the room to go for my 34 inch at the shoulder, 175 pound, Newf boy, Gideon.  He just ricocheted off Gideon's chest and Gideon ignored him.  It was unbelievable.  My Newfs, Saints, and Bassets get along not due to my Bassets' tolerance but because my Newfs and Saints are so wonderful.
    Fancy will crawl on their chests while the big dogs are sleeping and nibble their flews until they wake up and play with her.  She grooms them against their will.  She snaps at them until they get off the couch or if they dare to crowd in on her petting time--Luke is the same but WORSE.  Luke is a talker and a complainer.  He has needs that need to be met and thoughts that need to be expressed.  I know many people that aren't as conversant or interesting as Luke is!!!
    My third basset, Beau, loves everyone and NEVER, EVER, snaps, snarls, or fights.  He loves everyone and he will cuddle with anyone and everyone.  He is incredibly tolerant and fun BUT he has verbal diarrhea and howls and cries without impunity!!!!  He can't shut up and every homecoming is ear piercing.  What are you going to do?  You have to take the bitter with the sweet.
    I think what you are witnessing is basset behavior with Annie.  If you read some basset breed books, all with tell you that basset are sweet, comical, and charming but NOT TIMID!  They have very clear boundaries and will not tolerate other dogs trespassing on what they believe is their territory.
    I am not sure what a trainer or behaviorist will accomplish.  It is hard to change intrinsic breed behavior.  Bassets are what they are.  I had one rescue lady tell be she had a basset returned by an adoptive couple because the boy they adopted "talked" too much.  Needless to say, they did not get another basset from that rescue group.
    People get Newfs or Saints and then complain that they drool or shed too much and that they are too needy of affection.   Newfs and Saints adore people and need to be companion animals and family members---I believe bassets need this too.  If you don't like to be touched, have dogs sleeping in and around your bed, don't like drool, or if you want to shower without an audience, Newfs, Saints, and Bassets aren't for you.
    I think Annie is only being a basset.  She is letting your younger male know his place and establishing her territory and power over him.  I don't think this will change.  It is also probably part and parcel of her personality.  I am anxious to read other points of view form other listers.  I know my Fancy rules the house with an iron fist.  Ironically, I have a Landseer boy named Muchacho who protects any basset that look like they may be about to get a bit of their own back by another pack member.  He is a big, black and white, intact, Newf boy and he adores the bassets and will wrestle with them for hours.
Marie Campbell & the Basset Crew
Man Plans ~ God Laughs