[Dailydrool] grumpy Annie

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 24 18:10:36 PDT 2013

Rose- first I aplogize if I got Annie's name wrong...my brain tends to wander.
Anyway- in every household with more than one basset (or dawg) there MUST be an alpha. In order to live in relative peace- pecking order demands that a human be alpha. In your house I assume this to be you. In my house it's me. Yes, they are spoiled and have me wrapped around their paws, but I AM alpha. THE BIG BOSS. If I determine it, then it is so. Pecking order among hounds then follows. So you are the BOSS, then Annie if that's the way it works and so on. You have to be able to pet and love on all of them when you want. She may not like it, but she may not become aggressive towards them for it. If you are loving on one while she and they are on the couch- you need to shove her off just a quick as you can and continue petting the one you were while ignoring her. A quick shove, a LOUD yell NO and then ignore her. Also start the 'nothing for free' rule. She gets nothing without obeying something. ( choose a command she is most likely to follow, such as sit). She has to sit for a treat. She does not ever get to in/out the door or up/down the stairs ahead of you. Hand out treats in different order- not her first all the time. She will quickly learn that you are boss. She will still be alpha over the others, but she must respect that you can and will do things she does not like and can't change it. Restrict her access to couches and beds ( that you are on). This should take her attitude down a notch in a jiffy.
droolies, Angelika
ps- the message in encoded in such a way that it can not be read by bassets... I may be alpha- but I'm not stupid!