[Dailydrool] pack rules

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 26 09:27:09 PDT 2013

Like Angelika, I rule the pack, and sometimes I have to dominate my elder sister when she doesn't follow the rules of logic and great care.  And this is the bottom line of my rules, logic and great care.  I have a large herd, mostly sr. now and some very ill, and passes are handed out accordingly.  Jr. is still on the learning curve, and he is the youngest at 4 yrs old, but now when he gets into a squabble, he just backs down when he hears my low tone of NO, and I don't mention the expletives out loud.  For some reason, Jr. likes to guard the wee wee pads, and he used to eat poo, not so much now, but he just wants to demonstrate dominance.  For the most part I ignore him when he is like this.  He is also a fabulous counter cruiser who has learned to do an body extension beyond belief.  Again, if he gets something that is not harmful or dangerous, I ignore him.  He is not a destroyer, he just wants a treat reward for exchange.  For the first couple of years that he was here, I took him everywhere with me, a lot of training, classes, visits to Mom, etc, and he sort of thought whenever I went out of the house, he should go with me.  I backed off taking him with me about a year ago, and finally, I can leave the house without my sister having to distract him.  I learned a lesson in this case.  I believe Jr.  believed he was supposed to come with me all the time, and he rushed the door and wouldn't let me out w/o him until he learned other wise.  He is very smart, as are all my herd.  JP is the alpha, and he the strong and silent type.  Everyone  knows he is the King here, and he rarely inflicts a wound on another basset.  However, he would NEVER, NEVER allow a non family human in the house.  In that way he is protective, and he would bite to hurt an intruder.  He is huge, about 99 pounds, and yes, over weight, but twice through cancer, he is one with a pass.  He was slimming down, but then he developed a chronic cough, and he is on pred daily.  We all know what pred. does.  Always, if there is a herd issue, JP tosses the offending, never biting, just using his size and voice to control a situation.
 I am very grateful, and now most are Sr., I know the dominos will start to fall, but in the meantime, I love them to the best of my ability, and even though I am the leader, they can stare me out of a couch spot anytime they like, and that is the big thing that Nigel does.  (Hi Janie Anne).
Max had a treatment yesterday, and will get oral chemo starting Monday.  A month ago, I faced the same situation, and I was told he could have taken the orals right away, but he got very sick, and it was going into a weekend, so I learned better to let him get a little resistance built up, then at least on Mon, the Vets will be readily available if he gets sick again from the oral chemo.  He is looking so great.  Had we had not done this he would be gone by now, and I am grateful that we can do it.  He gained some weight again, a good thing for that boy.
I am grateful as well to the family of basset droolers.
Thank you for being there.
Healing drool to all in need
Jackie and the herd