[Dailydrool] Suzy and Allergies

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 05:02:40 PDT 2013

Jane,
Depending on where you live, this might be a horrible time for allergies. I
know where we are the mold is high, the fall weeds are high and ragweed
started last week.

Being on a grain free diet, do not guarantee that Suzy is not allergic to
her food.  She can be allergic to the meat source, the potatoes, the green
peas, the eggs or the flax or even the carrots.  There is NO such thing as
a hypo allergenic food.  Having said that, I probably wouldn't worry too
much about the food unless Suzy continues to itch after the first frost.

Never underestimate the power of a bath.  Try to use a soap without wheat
protein or oatmeal.  If Suzy is allergic to either of these, it will not
help.  I bathe the dogs every week or two and wipe them down with wet
washcloths every time they come inside after being outside.  I also give
them fish oil supplements to help with their skin.

At this point in the game that, and steroids as needed are probably your
only choices for this year.  You will have to decide if you want to allergy
test or do a food trial over the winter to help with next year.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.  I have been down this
road with 10 bassets.

Jennifer of Beauford (I think I may die if it doesn't freeze soon), Bugsey
(I really, really itch) and Browyn (I got my hydroxazine and I am good to
go).