[Dailydrool] camping with the herd

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Sat Aug 24 16:24:31 PDT 2013

 i didn't have an rv but a conversion van.  over the course of many years i took anywhere from 1 basset to 4, numerous foster dogs, a bassetter,  or a chessie with me on my camping adventures.  we ranged from maine to virginia.  the big van had a queen sized bed almost in the back when the seat was folded down so it made sleeping easy & i had rigged up the rest of it to be camping & dog friendly.

my rule of thumb was go go in either the spring or fall when the weather was easier on everyone.  also less crowds.  i enjoy taking the dogs with me on trails, etc so if they are crowded then that won't work (or if it's 99 degrees)..the same is true, at times i might want to go eat or visit someplace that doesn't permit them so it is imperative that it be cool enough to leave them in the van.

check out the campground maps for sites that are more secluded than others.  a little privacy means less barking.  ask about dog parks in the area if your dogs are used to that..it is a nice option to allow them a chance to blow off some steam off lead if they are used to that in a safe environment.  some campgrounds do have them, some don't.  walk the fence line first before you let anyone off lead to make sure it's safe.

pack water from home (i make 2 liter bottles of ice) this way no one gets upset stomachs from changes.

****GET DIRECTIONS OF THE NEAREST VET BEFORE YOU LEAVE.  PUT THEM IN THE CAR ALONG WITH COPIES OF YOUR SHOT RECORDS.

i love taking my guys along with me.  it's work but they are family.  been on a ski gondola with a chesapeake bay retriever, hiked lots of trails with the bassets.  gotten free prime ribs with them & way to much ice cream.  made many new friends with all of them.

takes a little extra planning but wouldn't have it any other way.

lois & the hampshire hounds (we don't camp anymore..we live in the woods now!)

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."  Albert Einstein