[Dailydrool] Tessie's Tumor

paula bohaty pmoonbo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 10:42:36 PST 2013

Our Basset,Molly (ATB) developed tumors everywhere as she aged. She had a
large tumor on her chest also which started at age 12.
Back then 15years ago..we had a old time country vet ol Doc. White,a very
sage,reknowned man who was highly sought after. Doc. Whites advise to us
follows...We can start messing with these tumors,cutting and biopsying and
treating and Molly will suffer and live two more years or we can do nothing
and except that some will be cancerous and some will not...and Molly will
live two more years.
If they ulcerate we will clean them and treat them to remove pus,infection
etc...otherwise we leave them alone. These tumors are common to the breed.
We chose to leave things alone and Molly went on living a happy life. About
two years later I was growing increasingly more concerned as the chest
tumor was  scary large,a mass about 4_5 inches across. I knew that it was
cancer and surely life threatening.
I sought help from our new vet as ol Doc. White had passed away.
The vet said let's biopsy...and stuck a large needle into the tumor and
drew out fluid. 8 hours after the procedure,Molly was screaming in pain.. I
stayed up with her through the night and ran her to the vet the next
morning...back then we did not have such things as emer.vets. The doctor
told me my sweet Molly was bleeding internally from the needle biopsy and
the pain was incredible..I was told to get my husband and that the time has
come to let her go. I still grieve and cry when I think of that day and the
night Molly went through...
My husband still mourns over sweet Molly. After two years our Molly was ATB.
I have followed ol Doc Whites advise since and know the time will come
again in the future when I will have to make decisions regarding my beloved
bassets.
Medicine is improving yearly and our vets are so very smart. What scares me
is we are seeing tumors starting in more n more young dogs. I send hugs n
love to Miss Tessie,I just know she will do well.
Hugs n drool,
Paula B, Basset wrangler to Agatha n Angus.