[Dailydrool] Dental Care

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 04:22:08 PST 2013

I think it was Marlene that was asking about water additives for dental
care.  I don't know any products to add to the water that actually work,
but I wanted to share my dental care routine which has been honed over many
years.

1. Brush teeth daily.  I have personally found that C.E.T. Enzymatic
Toothpaste works way better than Petrodex.  It also comes in a vanilla-mint
flavor so I don't have to worry about any meat allergies.  I personally
like the duel sided toothbrushes that are angled backwards to a human
brush.  I am not coordinated enough to use the brushes on a "track" and I
personally don't like the finger brushes.  These stupid brushes are getting
harder and harder to find.  C.E.T. still makes them without the toothpaste,
but they are very expensive.  I get a big container on sale from Pet Edge.
 They don't last as long as the C.E.T. brushes, but it is cheaper in the
long run.  Although I am throwing away more brushes into the landfill and
more plastic is being made for the brushes.

2. Put Perio Support from Vetri-Science on food of dogs that still like to
form tartar.  This means Bugsey.  I wish they had this stuff back when I
had Bismark ATB.  He had Grade 1 tartar at his annual exam this year.
 Beauford and Browyn had none.  The vet suggested this product.  It softens
the tartar.  I can see the tartar on the brush when I brush his teeth!  I
put it on the other two's food when we went on vacation.  I figure it is
too much to ask the vet techs to brush teeth.  They already have so much to
do with my crew.  I am getting the plaque off as I brush now that we are
back.  I am still on my first bottle of 16 oz.  I got it in June.  It is
almost gone, but not quite yet.  It has cranberry extract in it and most
dogs love the flavor.

I find that nothing works quite as well as brushing teeth.  I don't like to
use all the dental chews for two reasons: 1. I can't find many that all the
dogs can tolerate with their allergies.  2.  They are rather calorie dense.
 My dogs eat about 1100-1200 calories a day.  This means that treat should
not make up more than 120 calories a day.  A greenie for their size has
over 300 calories.  Wow!  Not very friendly to the waistline.

Jennifer with Beauford (I tolerate getting my teeth brushed), Bugsey (I
like the toothpaste), and Browyn the Fairy Princess (I LOVE toothpaste and
try to steal my brothers')