[Dailydrool] Someplace safe? From flying bassets?

Susan Murray-Grage mzkrazykat at live.com
Fri Dec 27 20:40:20 PST 2013

I read Dale's post about putting chocolates up in a safe place, but she said to put them on the fridge or in the microwave.  Dear clueless momperson, I think Snoopy and Gracie may be leading you down a primrose path , waiting for the right goodies to be stowed safely on fridge and in the microwave .  Tho several bags of chocolates are pretty tempting.  Maybe he's waiting for you to thaw some steaks up there.  The point is, there may come a point when the two basset birds realize they can get on that fridge and into that microwave (depending on the configuration of the kitchen,of course).  Our Charlie did that to us: he learned to get up on the counter by hooking an elbow into the sink and levitating up onto the countertop.  From there he has let himself in to the uppermost cabinets (where the bakers chocolate once resided until Charlie helped himself to what was fortunately a very small amount).  He has also gotten the bread on the top if the refrigerator, and learned how to open the microwave which we used to use as a safe place to thaw or store foods). Now we have to use the upper wall oven.  He liked leaving hims calling cards: he'd turn on the faucet and give the spice rack a good spin, so the jars were tipped out.  The cabinets now have safety latches, and we cover the sink with oversized cutting boards. The microwave no longer doubles as food safe. Charlie does still get up on occasions when we forget, leave the room for "just a moment", etcetera, but usually there is less for him to score!
Susan-- with Otie, Lucy and Charlie.