[Dailydrool] Very scary yesterday

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Sat Dec 28 21:22:08 PST 2013

Our Baxter is a gassy boy and a couple of times (he and Bunny came here in
September) I've wondered if he was trying to bloat.  Well yesterday was
really scary.  We had a bunch of relatives over for Christmas dinner, and I
think one of them must have had a little stomach virus that they passed on
to me, the DH, and also to Baxter.  The three of us have not felt great the
last couple of days, a little rumbly tummy and draggy, nothing awful.  Okay,
so yesterday I went to the store and got more rawhide chews for the dogs and
gave each of them one when I got home.  A couple of hours later we got
hooked up to go walk, and once we started out I noticed that Baxter's belly
was blown up with gas.  I felt his belly and it was not hard, just large, so
I decided we would slowly go a little further and see what happened.  He had
diarrhea pretty quickly, then threw up, and the belly went down to normal.

Now our Bunny loves rawhides, but she doesn't chew them much, she takes them
to the back yard and hides them.  After dinner yesterday someone went out
and found one of Bunny's hidden rawhides and brought it in and Baxter ended
up snagging it.  He chewed it up and then his belly blew up again.  It was
definitely caused by the rawhide.  I got a little Gas-X down him, then he
went out into the yard and threw up again, and the gas went away once he
barfed.  Gave him some more Gas-X and watched him the rest of the evening,
you could tell he didn't feel great.  This morning he was fine, and then
here came Holly dragging in the nastiest, dirtiest piece of rawhide you've
ever seen.  I grabbed Milk Bones for everyone and immediately traded with
Holly and wrapped up the nasty rawhide and put it one top of the
refrigerator so no one could get it.

Baxter has never had any problems with rawhides before, but you can bet all
the ones I bought yesterday are going out in the trash Monday.  He really
scared me big time, blowing up like that, and while I wasn't sure what
caused the first episode, the second one was definitely the rawhide, so
there will be no more rawhides at our house.  Woof, what a day.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net