[Dailydrool] Itchy Hound

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Dec 5 06:57:26 PST 2013

Young Charlie has been having the same trouble. He's on Trifexis, so checks out fine when it comes to fleas. He's eating the same food he has for years, so no diet changes. But we had an exceptionally wet summer, so I'm wondering if that triggered some environmental allergies that are still with us.

He scratches and bites at his tummy and the fluffy part of his bottom. Sometimes has a go at his armpits. Now he has dark brown saliva stains on his tummy.

In September the vet put him in Temeril-P, a sort of prednisone that thankfully didn't have any side effects for him, for almost two months. But it's not meant to be a maintenance drug, so he's off it now. Unfortunately. It worked well. Stopped the itching and his tummy went back to being pink. He was on Benedryl and Chlor-Tab for several years, and now I'm not sure they're all that effective anymore. Now the vet has put him on generic Zyrtec (20mg once a day), which seems to be taking the edge off but not solving the problem entirely. I anticipate allergy testing in his future, though we'll have to pay off the other vet bills first.

Elizabeth