[Dailydrool] Working from Home with a Basset

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 13 08:41:28 PST 2013

Hi all, Snoopy here,

Well then.  You only have one basset obviously.  At our house it goes a bit differently.  Something like this:

1)   momPerson attempts to slink into office without being noticed.  Yeah.  Right.
2)  momPerson sits in chair facing desk with back to the couch
3)  three bassets come charging into office and all attempt to get up onto couch at same time, jockeying for position, snarking at each other the whole way

Item 3 has one of 2 possible outcomes, those being:
1)  All bassets make it onto couch and settle onto each other
2)  two bassets make it onto couch, spread out, and snark at third unlucky basset, who winds up on the dog bed
    -- any and all combinations of bassets are possible in this configuration

Next momPerson will dial into a bridge to attend a meeting .... at which point typically LuLu will notice something going on outside which should be investigated and bark.  Once she barks twice I typically start to howl to ensure momPerson notices and goes to investigate.  At this point momPerson will put her phone on mute and we can hear "Dale, Dale are you there ..... that question was for you Dale can you please ....." but we are busy barking and howling and it is hard hear anyway with all the yelling momPerson is doing.

Of course, sometimes she doesn't have a meeting and she will simply sit there and code.  Those are the best times.  She just sits there for hours and codes and codes and we snooze and whoever is on the couch will look over her shoulder and catch her bugs ....... momPerson .... you forgot to initialize the variable ..... um .... momPerson ..... there is a corner condition you forgot about that will cause that to loop endlessly .... um momPerson ...... and so on.

Sometimes she gets a bit snippy and takes exception to all our help "Snoopy, it's just a STUB I am coming back to it, STOP it SNOOPY" and then she will get up and go to the kitchen for coffee and we all get down and follow her in case there's food and then we are right back to step 1 above.

She hasn't worked from home in more than a month.  For some reason she is lately finding it inconvenient.

More later from Snoopy

________________________________
 From: Rebecca Louise Stanton <pummorse at hotmail.co.uk>

The DAILY DROOL
An internet mail list designed to
entertain and inform basset hounds
and their people.

           ----
           /    \__
|\         /    @   \
\ \_______|    \  .: O
\      ##|    | \__/
  |    ####\__/   \
L_JJ           \__JJ

1  Settle basset on the sofa.  Make sure he is comfortable with cushion under head etc.  Then go to your side of the sofa and set up your laptop with headphones etc.  Start to type.

2  Notice basset has got wind and try to ignore.  Blink a few times to stop yourself passing out from the smog.  Try to ignore the faint whine that has set in from the basset's side of the sofa.

3  Whine has become increasingly high in pitch, culminating in basset getting up and heading for outside.  Stop dictation, take headphones off, move laptop.  Let basset out in the garden.

4  Go back to the door in a few minutes to find basset wagging tail gaily at you and refusing to come in.  Resist urge to throttle.   Finally offer a piece of bacon to get him in from the garden, trying to ignore the icy blast from the zero temperatures outside.  Attend to basset's ears which are drenched from outside.

5  Put basset back on the sofa, who decides he wants to sit where you have been sitting.  Unplug laptop and haul it round to the other side, muttering expletives all the while.

6  Basset is snoozing happily.  Start typing.  Until the next interruption :))