[Dailydrool] been busy

PC Hanes pchanes at ctwi.org
Fri Feb 1 11:20:38 PST 2013

Oh, houndie friends!  it has been a busy time at Baraboo! The last
message out mentioned a beanbag basset possibility in our future.  Oh,
but it got better!  Now we will have TWO! Harvey Wallbanger came from
west TX, abandoned on a highway, running up to every truck.  The
fortunate boy was rescued by a nice lady who called a nice man who
worked with a little basset rescue who knew someone with North TX BHR
who had seen my e-mail for a B&W basset.  So we got him about 3 weeks
ago, got him fixed, and are teaching him the rules - no grabbing food
from others, wait your turn for a treat, don't eat Mommy's books,
papers, mail or other dogs or cats.  NO means you are doing something
wrong.  Plus we have done some Harvey-proofing on our part.  He is a
sweetie, but he has not yet decided if he is Mommy's boy or Daddy's.
The Corgis, especially Utah, are a bit rude, but they are also getting
some reinforcement on proper behavior.  He had better come down on
Mommy's side if he knows where the treats come from.
Yesterday I got another call on a beanbag, again male, at a shelter in
Mt Pleasant (about 200 miles away).  I got my name on him just in time
so a rescue from CT could not turn him into a Yankee.  I am working on
arrangements to get him to one of their vets for neuter/shots/microchip,
then getting him to my stepson or a friend in Dallas to bring him
halfway to us.  I have named him Titus, as MP is in Titus County, where
my family settled in the 1830s, before the Revolution and Republic, so I
guess that makes him a Basset of the Republic of Texas.
This is so exciting!  I even came out from under the bed where I have
been skulking and started reading my e-mail again!  I am about 100
Drools behind, so all I can say is, I hope the hounds are doing well
(Rob and Fendi, so sorry about Jane.  Sympathy drool from all the
Baraboo Rescue Rangers.) and I am not encouraging or even informing my
crowd about turd hockey.  We have cows and donkeys here, so the
possibilities are staggering.  Besides, we have cat hockey.  3 of the
cats really love being nosed around the floor, slobbered on and
generally slightly mauled.
Harvey is going to have to make up his mind to ally himself with Titus
so they can keep the Corgis in line.  Both are moderately young fellers
- 2-4.  Harvey got his name from his original rescuer, because his tail
is extra long and a lethal weapon on its own.
Oh happy day!  Calloo callay!
Many thanks to the great folks with NTBHR, who cast my e-mail upon the
net and hauled me in 2 beanbags!  And as always, thanks to the small
rescues and shelters who really look for homes for their charges,
despite the usually personal out of pocket expenses while they care for
these sweeties.
A very joyful PC Hanes and the BRR
OH!  I got my calendar like instantaneously and I am savoring each day,
so I am only up to Jan 15 so far.  Thank you Laura!