[Dailydrool] mast cell tumor questions

Deborah L Hartpence hartpence at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 16 05:31:13 PST 2013

My Rosie had a lump on her underside that just didn't feel right, so we went to the vet and had it taken off. Vetperson thought it was just a benign mammary tumor , but she took out extra margins anyway, just to be sure. I asked her to send it away, and it came back mast cell tumor. Vet was totally surprised, she wasn't expecting that one.I wanted to ask anyone who has experienced this, what have you done?  I read on the internet that dogs that get one, are likely to get more, and the course of action is to remove them as they occur, unless it has gone to internal organs, and in that case, chemo and radiation is not real effective. My vet also said basically the same thing, with the option of a referral to an oncologist for ultrasounds and tests to see if it has gone to internal organs. I am giving her benadryl twice a day to counteract any histamines, a pepcid ac daily, and a vitamin c daily for immune support.  She also gets a full body massage
 daily, looking for more lumps.Is there anything else that anyone has done that is helpful in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated.