[Dailydrool] Third Eyelid Question

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:55:58 PST 2013

Yesterday Cowboy woke up and was outside howling like a madman by about
9am. We ignored him and laid around, drinking our coffee and watching the
news. He came inside and jumped on the bed and that was when we saw that
both of his eyeballs were covered with the "third eyelid". He didn't appear
to be in pain, but we could honestly not see any of his right eyeball and
only about 1/4 of his left. I read the DD archives and couldn't find a
definitive explanation about why both eyes were being affected with such a
quick onset (not sure if it happened while he was outside howling, or if he
woke up like that).

Anyway, we took all 3 of the dogs on a walk (we are currently dogsitting a
bulldog) including Cowboy. He was walking fine, just sniffing along and
didn't seem too affected by his vision. Not sure if it's related, but once
he pooped, both eyes appeared to be slightly better. By the time we got
home, his left eye (the better of the 2) looked completely normal, and the
right eyeball was now about 1/2 visible, still partially covered by the
lower eyelid. He took a nap and then awoke with 2 clear eyes and no sign of
the third eyelids.

Can anyone explain to me why this occurred? Should he see his vet for an
eye check or since the symptoms have passed, should we stop worrying? It
was windy yesterday so he may have gotten some dust or something in them,
but I just can't believe that both eyes were almost equally affected, at
the exact same time. Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks and drool to all,
Kacy