[Dailydrool] Getting a second Basset Hound

Onslow Basset onslowbasset at roadrunner.com
Sat Feb 23 15:45:44 PST 2013

My husband and I have been thinking about getting a second Basset Hound and we're looking for advice.

Onslow is 7 - nearly 8 - and getting to be a senior houndy. I think life is too short for just one dog at a time and that it would be good for Onslow to have a youngster to show the ropes and keep him young. My husband is concerned about the cost of a second hound - but also concerned that it would be hard on Onslow - that he might feel overwhelmed or neglected or resent the pup. Onslow is definitely Brian's boy. Or should I say Brian is definitely Onslow's boy. He picked him.

(I have to explain how we got Onslow: When we went to visit Speis O' Lif Bassets in Brownsburg Indiana, Brian sat down with the three 'big' puppies and they swarmed him. But when the other two were distracted by dinner being served to the 'little' puppies, Onslow took advantage of the moment and plopped down in Brian's lap for a belly rub. When the other two came up to see what was going on, Onslow told them in no uncertain terms that Brian was his. Back off. And since he has been the sweetest fellow. Only occasionally ornery. He picked Brian, but he got me in the bargain! What a deal - two for one!)

We would love to hear from those of you who introduced another dog - a pup - to your one-dog household when your first hound was a senior. Thanks in advance for your observations and advice.

Sue Stevens