[Dailydrool] General Anesthesia

Eleri Pastouret elerimist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 23:56:06 PST 2013

Bonejour,

Pw Penny, in Fwance, had to have general anesthesia last year to remove a very nasty lump on her back. She was 14 then and I had already put the op off for several months because I was afraid of the anesthetic at her great age.  I asked for advice everywhere but it was my (or rather her) vetman who convinced me to go ahead.  He said that it was not in his interest for dogs to go to the Bridge!  He explained that anesthesia was not so much to do with age but the dog's general health. There is ALWAYS a risk, but not necessarily related to age.

The day of the intervention I was a nervous wreck, calling myself all the names under the sun.  When I went to pick Pw Penny up afterwards she was wide awake and in fine form.  The worst part was not being allowed to feed her till the next day!  She just camped in the kitchen and gave me filthy looks!!!!!!

She is now 15 and would I do it again?  I honestly don't know !!!!

Eleri Pastouret
www.bassettissimmo.com
http://mascollection.free.fr
www.un-coeur-sous-loreille.org

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists on other planets is that it's never tried to contact us."