[Dailydrool] Surviving New Year's Eve Fireworks

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 12:56:11 PST 2013

Last night's fireworks displays were the densest, loudest, brightest we have ever experienced. Personal fireworks are legal in our state (Hawaii), and with our majority population being Asian, New Year's is the biggest celebration of the year. Last night we were surrounded on all four sides by aerial displays and groundworks from about 6 PM until 1 AM without interruption. The air was so thick with gunsmoke that visibility was very poor and breathing was difficult. I had not anticipated so much activity, as last year there was only a fraction as much. Both hounds are terrified of fireworks. We had prepared by closing all the windows of the house, pulling down shades, and turning up our television. I had also bought a Thundershirt for Harley, who quakes with fear and pants.

None of these interventions did much at all. Bo paced and panted. Harley shook like an earthquake and paced and panted with wide eyes. Both were glued to my ankles. I considered piling them into the car and driving out into the lava fields to get away from the commotion, but I really didn't want to be out driving. Between drunk drivers and legions of police stopping everyone, it is quite a scene.

BUT, I discovered how to calm them down! Incredible. I had both dogs on the bed with me. Both draped their 55 pound bodies over my carcass to absorb any courage they could by osmosis. I tried singing to them--no effect. I tried reciting repetitive writings from memory (Shakespeare speeches, Hail Mary's, Our Fathers)--no effect. Then I tried reading aloud from a book to them and it worked! Both settled down almost immediately and seemed to ignore the external goings on, dozing and not shaking as they listened to the narrative unfold chapter by chapter. It seems to have been the regular cadence of my voice nonstop that did the trick. So I read a novel to them for two hours (from 7 to 9) and then my eyes got tired. The moment I stopped, the dog trembling and panting started again. So I shut off the reading lamp and simply started a nonstop talking monologue. I told the hounds all about my childhood, the people in my life that I grew up with, spoke to
 humans at the Rainbow Bridge. So long as I kept talking and talking and didn't stop they were fine. It was quite miraculous. At about 11:30, my voice frogged out. So we all just kind of roughed it for the next hour and a half. I was so astounded that this was the miracle solution that I wanted to share it with you all. Who would have imagined? A new bumper sticker--"Read to your Dogs"?

And, Pam Farris, write me. If you still want a basset thundershirt, it didn't work for Harley, so I'll send it to you. Send me your address. Happy New Year, everyone. Val, Bo, and Harley