[Dailydrool] Suggestions for helping a newly blind old basset

Pat Wood patshoundies at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 07:16:31 PST 2013

I'm beside myself - Becky of Becky & Buddy, SBR fosters, has just gone totally blind.  I've been trying to "help" her adjust, read some info on line...suggested not to move furniture - no problem there, keep food dish where usually is, no problem there....and keep talking to her which I've been doing.  When I do, and I tap or clap or say "come Becky", which she is used to, she turns in the opposite direction and wanders off!  I'm sure she isn't deaf....but maybe there is something going on in her brain to help her with this new challenge? I can't believe the brain has her going 180 degrees in everything and everywhere she tries to go and maneuver...very frustrating for her and me! Her sniffer has been working, but she recently is losing that ability to hone in on a treat placed on the floor in front of her....

I am going to get her a harness which will allow me to gently move her in the "right" direction..since she absolutely goes in the complete opposite direction and ends up bumping into things, and she can't seem to "get out" of where she headed....any suggestions?  she's 13 years old, is about 45 lbs.

she runs into her bonded pair Buddy, and he just growls at her! and Hannah Banana, who is deaf, doesn't hear her coming and when Beckie bumps into Hannah, she also snaps at Becky......I guess they can't discerne Becky's problem...I've talked to them about it but, well....

I'd appreciate any suggestions-thanks

Pat Wood
Becky - I'm trying to adjust, but its so hard!
Buddy - I don't know what's wrong with her, but I'm going to growl when she gets close to me-this is still all my territory
Hannah Banana - if I could hear her coming, I would probably be nice to her, but I have to snap cause she surprises me