[Dailydrool] Drool for Dexter

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Jan 16 11:39:59 PST 2013

Last night as I went to get Dexter off his favorite bed (ours, of course), I noticed blood there. I knew it wasn't mine. I had seen a drop or two earlier in the day that I figured was from Holly attacking him on his nose because he bumped into her, but I couldn't find the source. Now I looked down at his little boy parts and saw blood, so I ended up rushing him to the ER. The vet examined him, and when she palpated his bladder, he yelped. So she took him in the back, examined his prostate, gave him a rectal exam, then catheterized him to get some urine for testing. (Too bad I hadn't caught some when he peed on his way in!) We came home with antibiotics that Dex got as soon as we got him some food.

Yesterday he was pretty perky, but today all he wants to do is sleep. He's not straining at all when he pees, and I haven't seen any blood at all, but he's just pretty well out of it. I'm hoping it's not something more serious. We'll hear back later today on the urine sample, though a culture will take a few days more to so its stuff.

Can you please send drool in Dex's direction? He's my best boy, and it hurts me to see him hurting.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets