[Dailydrool] Dexter and Horton updates

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Jan 17 08:58:44 PST 2013

I took Dexter to my vet today, as much to make sure she knew what was going on and would give her opinion as anything. Naturally, Dex recovered from his lethargy this morning, so I wondered if I was doing the right thing. But I figured that if we didn't go, he'd be lazy again in the afternoon, and I'd be kicking myself for not taking him. So off we went.

Shortly after we got there, Dex, who never relieves himself inapprorpriately, peed right by the door to the vet's office, to let me know how little he appreciated being there (or does he have a UTI and just can't hold it?).

My vet did X-rays, but they weren't of much help, since there was a load of poop in the way, right by the bladder. What she got a clear picture of looked just fine, but we don't know about the rest. Since he's feeling perky and was making up to all her clients, I figure he's feeling a lot better and maybe it's just a UTI. We still have the results of a culture to get back, and maybe that will give us more information. The urinalysis was unhelpful, since his results were within normal ranges--maybe a bit of bacteria, but nothing really significant.

We got home and, just as you might expect, Dexter pooped what was probably the largest one he's ever done since we've had him. Now I really know what he thought of another vet visit!

If he doesn't perk up completely, we can run some bloodwork next. But I think I will wait and make sure we really need to do that before I spend more hard-earned cash on such a thing.

Meanwhile, Horton has been doing just fine. He's putting on a little weight. I'm sure if I grossly overfed him, he'd eat as much as he could cram in his tummy, but having lost a dog to bloat, I'd rather go a bit carefully. He eats three times a day, and the other dogs are incredibly jealous, since he gets canned food when they can't eat at all. No matter that it's the i/d food for tender tummies. Canned food is canned food and always something to be jealous of. Today I started Horton on regular food again, adding just a little to see how he does. I'm hoping his tummy will take it all in stride.

As to Horton hearing a who, I don't think so, but I have been saying all along that Horton is a hoot. The orthopedist thinks he's just a bit over a year old. Though I don't do puppies in general, I have been enjoying him a lot. He's nothing like our live-wire Jane as a puppy. Maybe that's because he hasn't felt so hot, but I can't believe how calm he is. If only he were completely house trained, he'd be the perfect hound. But he's picking up bad habits from my senior, Holly, not taking his cue from perfectly trained Dexter.

If someone is willing to work with his nervousness around people, Horton will be a great adoptee. When he's ready to go, in a month or so, someone will be getting a great hound. How I will miss him!
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets