[Dailydrool] January 18 calendar - Elmo

Julie Stevenson bassets5 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:33:20 PST 2013

Well, it has been a year since our Elmo left. I couldn't report his
passing to the Drool at the time but since he is on the calendar now, I
felt it was time. Anyway, he was his Daddy's boy. It was love at first
sight for both of them. It was 2002. He was found at the Shelton Animal
Shelter about 100 miles from our house. My friend, who old-timer
droolers might remember, Tamie Tate from Cascadia basset rescue agreed
to pull this boy for us until we could make the trip down to get him.
She called when she sprung this guy and you could hear him barking in
the background. That was Elmo. He had to let everyone within earshot
know he was around! We met in a McDonalds parking lot. Tamie opened up
the door and Elmo was home in our hearts! He and his Daddy were
inseparable. We were very lucky to have found our prince Elmo and that
Tamie got to the shelter before the other person who was also there to
try and adopt him!

Fast forward to his last day, that weekend, Seattle had been hit with
one of our rare snowstorms and everything shuts down. No one can drive
in our area. The vet was closed and our neighbor with a 4-wheel drive
wasn't home so we were stuck. Elmo had a fairly uneventful morning. By
afternoon he was anxious, really couldn't relax but no visible signs of
bloat. Elmo went into our bedroom and assumed his usual pillow position.
Daddy who was beside himself with worry, followed. Within 15 minutes,
Daddy yelled out, Elmo was gone. The whole ordeal was no longer than 1
1/2 hours if that.

Elmo and Daddy had almost 10 years together. During that time, we
rescued and fostered lots of bassets but none were as special as Elmo.
He had a very princely air and let everyone who would listen know about
it! He was very particular about taking treats as well. He would not
pick a treat off the floor, it had to be handed to him, sniffed and then
he would eat it. If by some fluke, it would hit the floor, one of the
other dogs would rush over to grab it, Elmo definitely would not!

So if Elder Clara sees him somewhere at the buffet table, make sure
nothing falls off his plate! We sure miss you, Elmo!

Julie and the Stevenson Family Circus
Cookie, Winston and Quincy the bassets
Penny the beagle
Blackie the lab