[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Choke-like Collar

Rkbeard at aol.com Rkbeard at aol.com
Thu Jan 24 15:16:03 PST 2013

Most of us show people prefer to call these collars "slip collars" instead
of choke collars because they are not used to choke the dogs.  If properly
placed on the dogs neck and properly used, they will not hurt the dog.
They are actually much safer, in my opinion, than pronged collars, which can
really do damage.

Any collar that will tighten around the dog's neck is better than using a
regular buckle collar.  Because of the loose skin that many of our dogs
have, a buckle collar can slip off over the dog's head, and then you obviously
have a loose dog.

Another option instead of using a slip collar--which by the way are
available in nylon, not just chains--is to use a martingale when walking your
dog.  This type collar tightens up when the dog pulls hard, or when  you need
to really control your dog, but instantly loosens when you release the
tension on the lead.

Good luck with finding the proper type collar and lead for your dog--one
that works and that you are happy with.
Kathryn Beard