[Dailydrool] Winston ATB

Julie Stevenson bassets5 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 11:39:09 PDT 2013

It's been a bad year at our house. Winston has gone to the bridge. We
got him in 2006 from people who wouldn't let him in the house because he
was stinky. They opened a bag of Ol' Roy and threw into the yard for him
to eat.  At the time, I was volunteering with Cascadia Basset Rescue and
I went to pick him up from this "home". The woman relinquishing him
offered to give me the open bag of food that was lying in the dirt.
Naturally that "generous" offer was declined and we sped out of there.
Needless to say when we got him, he was overweight, close to 85 lbs. He
was so stinky we drove home with the windows open. We were told that
Winston was 3 years old but the vet said he was probably closer to 8. So
we split the difference and decided he was 5. Anyway, he became a very
important part of our family. My son and Winston bonded immediately and
they became best buddies.  The last few years he's had lots of trouble
with his hips and we've been giving him Missing Link with glucosamine
which has kept him pretty mobile. But seeing how much trouble he was
having was telling me that maybe he WAS closer to 8 when we got him.

Fast forward to last week, my son noticed that Winston didn't look good
before they went to bed. Sort of sad looking, listless and breathing
with difficulty. I was already asleep and my son wanted to have one last
night with Winston. So in the morning, my son put him on the floor and
he was unable to move and peed a giant puddle right there.  We cleaned
him up, looked in his eyes and knew it was time. We took him to the vet
who said he was in heart failure and we gave him his wings. My son took
it very hard and didn't come out of his room for two days. Now there is
no one to announce the breakfast and dinner hours. Although Nutter
Butter is trying to take over that duty, she is more of a whiner than
the all-out bark that Winston had. We will miss him.

For anyone keeping track, Cookie went the the bridge in April; we lost
Gramps in June, an old long haired cat we took in when he decided he
didn't want to live across the street anymore, and now Winston. Fly free
old man. There is no more pain. You take a piece of our hearts with you.

Julie and the Stevenson Family
Quincy and Nutter Butter the bassets
Penny the beagle
Blackie the lab