[Dailydrool] Opie needs drool!

Barbara Rocheleau bjrocheleau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 07:58:34 PDT 2013

Hello Drool Family,
Opie has not been himself for a few months.  He is constantly moaning when he moves and can't get comfortable. He is Also drinking by the gallons, peeing by the gallons and panting. He is a BIG boy, weighing in at 88lbs and his stomach has become extended. I can only describe it as round like you would see on a donkey!
We have been in and out of the vetman's for blood work and ultrasound. His ultrasound of his abdomen was clear, nothing unusual. I was thrilled about that, but surprised! My suspicions came true when he was diagnosed with Cushings Disease.  I have dealt with this with my beagle, many years ago.  Time dims the mind, but I don't remember Barney being in such pain.  Is this common?  He has not begun meds yet, I will discuss that with vet today. The vet was very sympathetic and told me the meds for a 90 lb dog will be expensive and Cushings is not curable so do not feel you have to do this. Of course I want to do what I can for my boy( he is Momma's  boy-as I cry typing this) but if it is not curable and he is in so much pain - am I keeping him here for me or him?  Right now I feel he has no quality of life. Please help me with your advise!!!
Barbara - momma to Opie and Layla

Sent from my iPad