[Dailydrool] High medication prices

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Jul 27 13:28:34 PDT 2013

Sue:
I am so sorry your friend is faced with glaucoma in her dog. Her experience with high medication prices is not unusual. From the Yahoo blinddogs list, I learned that it is much cheaper to buy these medications through a local pharmacy--sometimes even the food-store pharmacies, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club or whatever.

Does she live in New Jersey? If so, the state law requires that the vet write her a script on request. As far as I know, there should not be a fee for that. (My vet told me about this law, and my eye docs had no problem giving me a script.) I think that kind of law should be in every state. But even if she has to spend the ten bucks to get a script, it might be worth it. The prices she will get elsewhere will be substantially lower. Tell her to call around and check on prices. I think I had one drug for our Dexter that I could not get a lot cheaper, but the rest were a lot less.

And your friend might want to join the blinddogs list at www.blinddogs.com. There's a lot of good information on that site, but there's also a spot to sign up for the list. It is a great, supportive bunch of people who have been through the issues of glaucoma and may be able to help her a lot. When Dexter lost his sight, they walked me through the whole deal, and I was so glad to have them.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets