[Dailydrool] Eating, Drinking, Bloating etc.

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Wed Jun 5 19:46:00 PDT 2013

As Bev said, no one knows for sure what causes bloat but we do know that it
is deadly.  I second everything Bev mentioned and add a couple more things I
do as precaution . especially with seniors or when I know something else is
going on like congestive heart problems, magical regenerating spleens
(Johnny), etc.

Everyone spends 15- 30 minutes of quiet time PRIOR to eating . mine spend
the time in their crates . your choice.  This helps the body and mind calm
down from exercise, play etc.

For seniors, whose muscles are not as well toned, I decrease the portion
size, moisten the food and feed three times a day.

All seniors (and anyone else prone to gas or bloat) gets a generic Gas-X
with every meal.  Some also get one at bedtime.

Bloat for some reason (at least in my experience) always happens in the late
evening.  So, I limit the amount of water my bloat prone have access to at
one time to 8 - 10 ounces at a time.  This helps decrease the distention and
weight of the stomach.

At the first sign of any bloating tendency, burping etc., I give two full
droppers of liquid simethicon (health food store or baby department), apply
Lavender Oil (a couple drops in my hands gently stroked over head and ears)
for calming, walk s.l.o.w.l.y on a lead.  If I don't see improvement, we go
to the vet .. Now!

There are a couple other tricks but they are not for the squeamish or
inexperienced.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Basset