[Dailydrool] Ticks, Hair Loss and Dirts, Oh My!

rebecca stanton pummorse at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 08:57:27 PDT 2013

I found 2 ticks on Morse this morning and then after removing them decided to give him a once-over.  His sternum area is always a little grubby looking as he is a great roller and often digs in the garden, so his flews etc get really grotty, and I wash him down frequently.   I only gave him a wash down a couple of days ago, and he hadn't been anywhere grubby (for once) so I was horrified to see his sternum area looking incredibly red and dirty.  When I looked closely, there was dirt in there - but it didn't look like the dirt from fleas.  He is free from fleas anyway as he is on monthly Comfortis, and I am vigilant about fleas as he has flea saliva allergy.  The Comfortis does work but makes him vomit and feel ick for a day or so after.  So I washed his chest area and the fur was actually coming out, so he has now got a fairly large area on his sternum where the fur has definitely come out and it looks a bit sore, although he isn't bothering it at all.  I am leaving it for the moment to let it settle a bit.  Any ideas?  He seems well in himself otherwise.  Would dirt that had been there a few days just make the fur come out?  Would the ticks have anything to do with it?

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB