[Dailydrool] Question for those who dehydrate treats

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:28:38 PDT 2013

Pam,
My dehydrator has a temperature control. I prefer to do that, but you did
even one step safer. You cooked the chicken. I like that even better.
Really and truly the dehydrators just don't get quite hot enough to be safe
for the meat for as long as it takes to dehydrate the meat unless you get
the pieces really small and really thin. I have been known to do it both
ways. If I don't cook the meat first, I make sure the pieces are very small
and well handled before dehydrating. The chicken will get white spots where
it is over done. If it had white spots on it after you had cooked it and
had just taken it out of the dehydrator and wouldn't scrape off I would bet
it wasn't mold. It was just spots that were over done. I would still store
it in the fridge or freezer.  I have three dogs and I will keep a few days
worth out. I keep the rest in the freezer. Of course I have two dogs
allergic to chicken, so mine are 1 pound ground beef with a cup of pureed
veggies added in and then scooped up in a small cookie scoop and flattened.
 Depending on weather, it will take 12-18 hours for them to dry. The dogs
go nuts over them. Those are with the temp set at 170 degrees. The
dehydrator hold like 10 pounds of meat. I can only get one pound of meat
and 1 cup of veggies in my food processor. Good luck with the chicken!

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess