[Dailydrool] Dogs attacking

Janice Colvin jhenrycolvin75 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 07:58:26 PST 2013

Here in Salem we rarely have a problem with dogs attacking us on our walks.
 Data was the only one who provoked two visiting leashed Dobermans.  One of
them picked him up by the neck, but then dropped him.  The owner berated me
loudly for having Data out, but I was quickly stuffing the 3 dogs into the
car to escape the approaching Dobermans when Data pulled away.  I think
that if her dogs could kill, that they shouldn't have been walked by her
teenage son, who could not completely control them.  The poor kid was
crying because he believed that Data had been injured (He was not). That
was last year.  Data is a smarter now, thank goodness.

At Heidi's Beach House, however, people are more casual about having dogs
leashed. Our old shar pei, Deohgee, was bitten in the butt by a huge Husky
who was tied in front of a house on a very long rope.  I called Dog Control
and they showed up and talked to the people.

We have been rushed by other dogs at the coast while the dogs and I are
walking.  Usually we just stand still and the offending dogs veer off when
I shout at them.  I would not want to carry a riding crop for fear that I
would strike my own dogs. I used to use mace when I worked as a letter
carrier (I should say that I only actually sprayed it once).
--
Janice Henry Colvin