[Dailydrool] Advice please

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Wed Mar 6 16:00:09 PST 2013

Since I know most of you have dealt with minor or major basset back issues,
 I am looking for some advice re supplements, vitamins etc.  Friday night,
Gracie and Drummer, my ex's bassets came to stay with me while he went to
Phoenix for a week. Both are senior houndies about 12. Drummer is nearly
blind  and Gracie is pretty deaf so communication with them is interesting.
Anyway,  everything was fine until Sun am when Gracie couldn't get up the one
step into  the house. She was wobbly on her back legs when I got her in and
ate and drank  just fine. When I let her out later she pooped but again could
not make it up  the one step. Took her to vet yesterday and an xray showed
a slight protrusion  into the spinal canal near the base of the spine almost
at her tail which she  wags continuously. Couldn't tell if it was disc or
vertabrae and vet asked if I  wanted an MRI. The evil Kathy was tempted to
saddle him with a 1000.00+ vet bill  but I declined and said he could make
that decision when he comes for her this  weekend. She came home on prednisone
and a muscle relaxer and limited activity;  no walks, stairs, furniture etc.
I have been using a sling to get her into the  house. This morning I went
to get her and she had climbed the one step up to the  deck and was waiting
for me at the sliding doors. So she must be feeling better  and she seemed a
little less wobbly. I know Rich can't afford any expensive  treatment and
surgery is probably not indicated at this point but if anyone has  any
suggestions, I would appreciate them. She is being good about lying on a bed  in
the kitchen and only getting up to ask to go out or get a drink. And she is a
real sweetheart.
Thanks
Kathy with  Crackers, Loki, Jordan and Gracie and Drummer