[Dailydrool] antibiotics/'flu

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 10 12:09:40 PDT 2013

 Hello Ann,
    The bad news is most kennel cough viruses and the canine influenza have a 14 day incubation period.  So, no, she would not be showing signs earlier after a day spent at the vet's.  Canine influenza has all the same symptoms as human influenza--fever, chills, body aches, extreme lethargy, runny nose, cough, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea as well.  Her white cell count will be high and it takes a good two weeks for her to recover.  She is contagious so do not expose her to other dogs outside your home and her immune system may be compromised so keep her at home until she is completely well.
    She will survive this but it is just like you having the 'flu.  It is slow going.  Lose of appetite is also normal.  I am more apt to think she has the 'flu rather then a reaction to her meds but please call your vet's office on Monday AM and tell them what is going on.  They may decide she needs a blood panel run.
    I had a Saint girl and a Newf girl in an emergency vet clinic after a fire at my house.  They were suffering from smoke inhalation but NOT burned thank God.  Both girls made a full recovery but they came home with the canine influenza and 14 days later everyone here had it.  All survived BUT no two had the same symptoms--some had extreme lethargy and lack of appetite--some just had a boogie nose and runny eyes--some had a cough and no other symptoms.  Fortunately, none got diarrhea or vomiting or life threatening post 'flu infections BUT I had two going in for surgery and they both had really high white cell counts.  My vet was the one who figured out they had been exposed to the 'flu and both dogs' surgeries had to be put off for two weeks until they fully recovered from the 'flu.
    As for the bladder issues, if your girl gets no relief ASAP get a copy of all her medical records and tests run and get a second opinion.  They have veterinary urologists.
    I hope this helps,
    Marie Campbell & the Newf, Saint, Basset Crew
Man Plans ~ God Laughs