[Dailydrool] Trying to help a friend of a friend find a home for an 11-year-old Basset boy in Texas.

James Bankston jsbankston at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 10 23:58:47 PDT 2013

I hope this finds everyone well. I've not read or written to the DD in a long time. Waiting on Miss Belle seems to take up most of my time. But a Basset case just landed in my lap and I want to avail myself of every resource possible in resolving the matter.

My friend Jen, who took care of Fred in 2006 when I went to Paris, has a friend named Todd with a Basset named Wally. Todd's been unable to find work here in Austin, and is about to move to NYC to a 4th-floor walk-up apartment. He knows that many stairs aren't good for the back of a Basset of any age, plus he's going to be working long hours, so as much as he hates to part from Wally, he needs to find him a new home. So I told Jen I'd see what I can do.

Todd's already contacted Helping Hands Basset Rescue in Round Rock, Texas, which I didn't think liked to take seniors. Some of my online friends suggested a rescue in Houston, another in Ft. Worth, or the House of Puddles Basset retirement home in Maryland.
Here's Todd's comments on Wally:

"He's the story, next to impossible to find a job here in Austin that will sustain bills due, so I'm venturing on to NYC, which would NOT be friendly for my old friend Wally. He's 11, but a spry 11, he can still run and jump and play, just not as much as he used to and stairs destroy his back. Not a lot of ground floor apartments in NYC for less than $10,000 per month.

"I think the least selfish thing to do would be to find him a comfortable, loving home around here. He's having ALL of his tests and shots renewed this coming week at Windsor vet clinic, they've been wonderful over the years. He shows NO signs of aggression unless the situation is absolutely dire. HE's fantastic with children and just about everyone else, yet he's semi-protective in the right situations: strangers at the door, postmen, etc.

"He's been to 33 states, Mexico and Canada, so he's well traveled and has smelled more     country than most adult people I know. He travels extraordinarily well, by the way. He's      relaxed when you're relaxed, like a good dog. Speaking of which, he's the best. It would be hard to find a better behaved non-AKC dog than Wally.

"He gets sebaceous cysts and has to have one lopped off about once a year, (usually about $150) and he people food only on special occasions, something I began to allow him once he turned 10. I cook him a steak every year on his birthday, July 10th and usually forget to have his nails trimmed until I hear the click-clack on hardwood.

"He's great around all other dogs unless they attack him, then he shows the fight of an undersized, drunk Irishman. He is house-trained and has been since I got him but will piddle a little when he gets overly excited, which isn't often.

"I could go on and on, but will wait for your questions. I thank you from the bottom of my broken heart for offering to help out."

Thus far I have one picture of Wally. He's black on the back and tail, with white at the tip of the tail. His haunches, shoulders, head, and ears are tan, and his feet and face are white.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

James Bankston and Miss Belle