[Dailydrool] Passover Seder with 3 bassets

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 26 11:11:04 PDT 2013

Oh my dear lord, this is why they call me the clueless momPerson.

So ..... I went to work yesterday.  The DH put the brisket in the oven and
finished off preparations on the charosis and the matzah ball soup (I LOVE that
man).  I came home around 4 and put the leaf in the table and got out the 100
year old antique hand embroidered linens for the table the the haggadahs (books)
and made sure everything was ready.  I fed the dogs.  Well, I fed the bassets.
We ALL know they are not really dogs.  Natalie was concerned about the bassets
due to the impending 3 hour meal.  I should have listened to Natalie.  I really
should have.  Next year I may board them.  Especially after what happened this
year!!!!

OMG.

We started off with the dogs outside.  But then Greg remembered that he had
forgotten to roast (well, scorch really) the PESACH (lamb shank) which is
really, really important, the whole holiday is called Pesach in hebrew, this is
an important part and it symbolizes the sacrifices the ancients made at the
temples which were in turn to symbolize the "passing over" of the hebrew homes
during the slaying of the first born in Egypt but I digress.  Anyway Greg went
outside to scorch this lamb shank on the barbeque really hot and the dogs all
went nuts over the smell.  When he came in and brought the bone but not the
bassets they were furious, and then sad.  Gracie was sad the longest.  She
cried, and cried and cried and barked and barked and barked.

We were inside trying to conduct the seder and after about half an hour of
barking we had to bring the dogs in to avoid having the neighbors get to upset.
All those food smells, the table laden with food, we couldn't have them in the
kitchen so we blocked them in the living room.  Snoopy kept trying to scale the
gate.  Greg stepped over it to hide the affikomen (hidden matzah which the kids
look for later for prizes) and a scuffle ensued.  Snoopy got a peanut butter
kong and locked in the office.  That worked for another half an hour.  By then
we were on the second cup of wine.  Snoopy was barking and barking and the girls
were giggling by now (yes, children can have all the wine they want on
passover).  So, they suggested letting him back out.  I had also had 2 cups of
wine so I agreed.  They were barking and playing and carrying on out in the
living room and we had our seder without concern for what they were doing.
After the meal is served and everyone eats the kids go hunt for the affekomen
while the adults finish eating.  The girls were in there FOREVER, and they're
big now.

Finally I finished clearing and we need the affekomen to conclude the seder so I
asked what the holdup was.  Julianne told me all they could find was the linen
napkin ..... the affekomen was gone .... apparently Gracie found the affekomen
this year.  I didn't have dog prices and anyway they already ate their prize so
I had to get out a fresh piece of matzah and I don't even know if that counts to
conclude the seder.

BASSETS!!!!!!

More later from the clueless momPerson who is really glad this holiday involves
so much wine or else there would have been 3 bassets in very big trouble!