[Dailydrool] Crates

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:23:16 PDT 2013

We do not crate either, although of course many have had great success with
it.

When we got Cowboy, he'd flown out to California in a crate and so that
first night when we put him back in, he howled and cried for about an hour
before we let him out and never looked back. I assumed he hated it after
being stuck in the undercarriage of an airplane, but who knows. Maybe he
was already training us. :)

Then Rupert came along 2 years later, after being found as a stray and
going through a shelter and subsequent individual rescuer. We didn't even
attempt to crate him - he hogged our bed the very first night, and has
rarely missed a night since. When he eventually swallowed something and
needed emergency surgery, we bought a large crate off Craigslist to use for
his mandatory confinement and resting. He didn't mind being in there, but
then again he was all doped up on painkillers.

After that, whenever the crate has been set up, for say a foster or
visiting dog, both he and Cowboy express curiosity, venturing in to check
it out, but never choosing to stay in when the choice of a couch or bed is
available to them.

They totally have us wrapped around their big ol pudgy paws!

Drool to all,
Kacy with Cow and Ru