[Dailydrool] Paisley

timandjenmartin@gmail.com timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 05:44:50 PDT 2013

I hope I don’t make a jerk out of myself.  My computer died and when I got the new one, I changed the settings for the drool and I messed up and can only read about half.  I think I have it fixed now, I just hope I am not repeating something someone already said.

I agree completely with Dale on the cookie dance.  Yes, Paisley gets treats every time she does her business outside even if she started inside.  They don’t have to be big treats (and probably shouldn’t).  The only thing to watch is if she is a little timid you might have to tone down the yelling and celebrating and when you catch her peeing in the house.  Browyn is not scared of much, but if I yell at Beauford for counter surfing, I run the risk of her running into the entranceway and peeing.

Separation anxiety or Princess Entitlement Syndrome?  Both result in a dog barking in a crate.  How do you tell the difference?  Well, one sure fire way is if you give treats for going in the crate and the dog is too upset to eat the treat.  That is separation anxiety.  A dog that drools so much it is drenched when you get it out of the crate--separation anxiety.  A dog that calmly goes in the crate, eats it treat and then howls--Princess Entitlement Syndrome.  Browyn howls in her crate when I go to leave, after she eats her treat and until the garage door opens.  She just wants to let me know that she is the Fairy Princess and she does not deserve to be in a crate.  Our poor Beaker ATB had true separation anxiety and not only would it have been cruel to crate her, but she went nuts in the office--with the other dogs in there with her.  She would not touch her treats and she was drenched in drool and pee when I came back...and we aren’t talking hours either.

To crate or not to crate that is the question.  Just like Dale is against crating, I am for it.  We have e-mailed each other and we respect each others views.  I do believe that Dale is doing what is best for her hounds.  They have a history.  I didn’t keep crating Beaker when I saw what it was doing to her.  I believe in having a safe place for the hound where you know where they are.  A crate is perfect for this.  You can put them in there and as long as you know your hound and are careful with what you put in the crate, they are safe.  Can you tell I have had hounds that ate things they shouldn’t have and almost died?  Yeah.  That is why I am so big on this.  Plus, I am not really sure what I do wrong, but my puppies do not seem to know when to just stop and take a nap.  I have dog beds all over the place and they are allowed on the furniture.  I get an over tired puppy that just can’t behave and then I put them in their crate for nap time and they wake up like a new hound.  Also, if your dog has to ever be in the vet hospital, they will be already used to a crate, so it will be less stressful.  I trick out each crate to each basset’s individual needs and desires.  Browyn’s is the least tricked out because I still can’t tell when she is just mad and when she needs to go out sometimes.  Bugsey’s is very tricked out.  Beauford’s is in between.

Going into the crate to do her business is a pretty good indication that using the crate as a housebreaking tool isn’t going to work.

Jennifer, Mom person to Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn

Sent from Windows Mail