[Dailydrool] Peeing and Pooping in Crate

Vickie Zehring bubadog at comcast.net
Fri Mar 29 07:19:39 PDT 2013

If sleeping with you is solving the problem at night that's one thing,what are you doing during the day to keep her from going in the house? At and 4 1/2 months you are not even going to be close to her actually" getting it".First be sure you limiting food and water.Put ,( just as an example) her food down if she eats it fine but if not or only part the food comes up in 15 min. Water can be let down for her but you will need to watch how much she drinks and take her out accordingly.If she is eliminating in the house you must realize it is your fault not hers(ok folks don't get all bent out of shape,let me explain) she should never be anywhere you cannot see her,you cannot stop her if you don't see her.Gate off rooms if you can,tie a long leash to yourself so she has to be with you. When it is time to go potty take her out ,don't just put her out,and wait,it is not play time,it is potty time,have a treat so when she goes you have a reward for her and praise her. A high silly voice is praise,a low growling voice is discipline. Some dogs find it hard to go in an area they don't have their own scent on,next time she has an accident,poop and pee, clean it up with paper towel, put the paper towel in a plastic bag,seal it of course, and next time you take her out take this with you ,place the towels where you want her to go at and allow her to sniff them,this could help her get the idea.  Much of this is insecurity and if she doesn't know where you are her system gets out of whack.I have a girl,Esa who would eliminate in her crate every time we left for a dog show,not only every time but 4-5 times till we got to the show.I stopped and cleaned her crate out each and every time she went,if any of you saw me along side the road with a basset on a leash ,towels,etc. that is what I was doing:) Pain in the butt,yep, but had to be done can you imagine the mess if I waited to get to the show grounds,I'd have to bath HER all over again. I digress, it may be a long haul with her ,as with most bassets,so steel yourself up for this,what works for some doesn't work for others.When you are at home with her put her in the crate walk out of the room then come right back and let her out,she has to feel comfortable with Mom leaving the room but she  will see you coming back in enough time she doesn't get anxious.You this several times in the course of a day.If this doesn't work for you do you have an area you can set up an exercise pen(Petsmart) actually two pens hook them together and put her in there with a blanket and news papers to catch anything,This could ease the stress enough to make her less anxious if you leave if you might try this contact me and I can tell you how to set it up so she doesn't escape.I have a 7 month old in this kind of set up and it is working well. Good Luck PS Crate training is the way to go if you can(there are exceptions) oh and if you catch her in the act clap your hands to get her attention say"NOOO " in your best growling voice, then get her outside and let her there while you clean it up ,don't let her see you clean it up.If it is after the fact do not say anything to her ,put her out ,clean it up and let it go.Be sure you use something that will not leave any of her odor behind.