[Dailydrool] Counter Cruising - Repeat Offender

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri May 3 14:57:58 PDT 2013

So we've always been blessed with these two hounds who don't really counter
cruise. Sure they tipped over the trash can a time or two in the beginning
and they certainly know how to beg with the best of em, and once in a great
moon they have even swiped something off of our plates on the coffee table
(at basset height) - but they rarely if ever USED TO steal from the actual
kitchen counters.

Now we have lived in our current house for 2 years, and perhaps the
counters are a slight inch or two lower than those at our old house. And
over the past 2 years, one of the boys has, on occasion, stole some Tri-Tip
off of the cutting board. But we have always forgiven this offense - I mean
who can pass up good tri-tip, and of course we knew it MUST be our fault
for having left the meat too close to the counter.

But as of late, and I mean the past 3-4 months and especially 2-3 weeks,
Rupert has become an all-out thief. He's stolen steak; chicken - both raw
and cooked; corn on the cob; cheese; treats; chocolate chip cookies; bread;
and anything else he finds slightly desirable. Last night I caught him
eating fish straight from the dish I'd just removed from the oven and I
came in to find the glass dish teetering dangerously close to the edge of
the counter as Rupert strained his haunches and stretched his neck to eat
the fillet. The kid is unstoppable and is unphased by a good old fashioned
scolding.

I know he is NOT starved, in fact it's the opposite, so I just can't
explain why he has gained this knack for all things food when it used to
just be tri-tip, and he has no fear of retribution or punishment.....it's
almost as if he knows that his 5-year gotcha day is this month and we would
have already gotten rid of him if we had any desire to do so. Ahhh, just
shaking my head at the ways this guy continues to show his pawsonality over
the years and at my naivete when I used to chuckle at other people's posts
about unrelenting counter cruisers.

Happy weekend everyone, guard that food!
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert